Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sucking it up and bedtime chatter

When I went to sleep last night, the clouds were gathering and it looked like rain. Sure enough, at about midnight we had a full on lightning and rain storm. Jack is an amazing sleeper. Despite the fact that he likes to stay up for sometimes hours after we've put him to bed just talking to himself in the dark of his little bedroom. We listen on the monitor to things like, " No matter what, we never talk to strangers, even if they say, 'Hey, wanna ride in my SPORTS car (the example I gave him)' we just say, 'No thanks, I don't wanna do that' and then we run away."
Last night's was great, "... and then he took the lobes of bread and the fish and he fed EV-ree one! And they called him master of the railway".  Hmmmm so I think he is mixing plot lines, but you get the picture.

Anyway, once he's asleep, he's a great sleeper. He sleeps thru ANYTHING and up until just about 6 months ago he literally would not get up out of his bed in the morning until we came up and got him. It was hilarious. At about 16 months  old we transitioned him to a toddler bed and he'd just lie in there until you opened his door in the morning and got him up. He'd be sleeping with his McQueen car and accidentally drop him out of the bed. He wouldn't get up and get it, no. He'd scream for you and say, "Mommy, I dropped Lightning" and then wait for you to come in and pick him up. Weirdo!

So, I feel like I'm going to have my work cut out for me with Effie. There's no way in the world I'll get lucky enough to have another child that is that good of a sleeper. To sleep all night for usually 10+ hours and then go ahead and nap very consistently for 3+ hours every afternoon I know is truly a gift from GOD. That said, I am just crossing my fingers that Effie will grow to become a lazy sleep-in kind of girl like the rest of the family. I pray she loves a good nap!

Back to the rain. So, when I woke this morning it was wet and overcast outside. I told Jack that we would not be going to swimming lessons as yesterday was semi-sunny and we FROZE. I was having flashbacks of my own days in the pool as a child at 10AM bobbing up and down trying to keep my teeth from chattering. I thought I was done with that. Nope. I'm right back there only older, less flexible, maybe less tolerant of cold (if that's a thing) and paying for swimming lessons to teach my child how to swim. It's just so hard to smile and coax my 3 year old into the water with me. I hear myself saying all the crap my parents used to say to me, "If you stay down in the water Honey, you won't be so cold" and yet I'm not sure if that's true.

Well, we dinked and pinked around this morning not expecting to go anywhere and then at about 9:45 the sun came out. Oh man! Now what? I go down and ask Jack, who is watching Sesame Street, "Do you want to go swim today? The sun has come out and I think it will be warm enough." to which he replied, "Yep" and so, off we went. I was proud of myself that I let HIM make that decision, because my choice would have still been NOT. And, it was rather cold. Chatter. With one week of swim lessons down, I'm hoping Daddy will go with Jack next week, at least once or twice.

The rest of the summer looks to be fairly busy with visiting family in Minnesota, Little Dragons (Martial Arts Class) and just today, we finally got Jack signed up for Soccer Camp. I asked him, "Jack would you like me to sign you up for Soccer Camp?" and he promptly replied, "Yeah, and Football Camp too. Because you need to kick the football with your foot. And then if you play soccer, you just need to wear socks when you kick it."

You know, never really thought about it that way. This is why I need my son. He gives me perspective.
Too Cool for the Pool




1 comment:

  1. Love is when you take away the feeling, the passion, the romance, and you find out you still care for that person. Poland Euro 2012 Jersey

    ReplyDelete