Wednesday, June 27, 2012

YouTube and Gotcha Day Videos



Hello All,

I see many have stopped over to take a look from China Adopt Talk and I'm so glad that you have. If you would like to see our Timeline, glance at our Referral Pictures or the Pictures from Effie's 2nd Birthday Party, we've got it all here. Today, I'll be posting on what I referred to HERE as my newest addition, YouTube videos of Gotcha Day! Now, obviously as we all do, when watching these videos (and crying our eyes out) I have been making a mental note of all the elements that make up a great Gotcha video. Now, don't get me wrong, every single Gotcha moment is in and of itself priceless. It's just that there are wonderful lead ups and follow ups that can make expectant parents or anyone who has gone thru the process go from whimper to BAWLING! I'm trying to find out what those are.
This is my goal. I want crying Grandmas.


 I have also been working hard to begin making our video so that all I have to do is add the Gotcha footage and post that baby up on YouTube immediately for everyone to see. But, you'll find when you start this process, that it's not that easy. You've got to have some kind of plan and so just like everything else in my life that's worth doing I'll be trying to do it well. This will mean that I need to do an analysis. My addiction has now become a homework assignment. Now I am watching for sequence, timing and most importantly music choice. Here is a list of just a couple of the videos that I have loved watching on You Tube.



This one is by bradtuckman about their lovely Maya

Based on these and others I've seen, I've compiled the following list of elements that seem to be common in most Gotcha videos:


  • Paper chase photos
  • Referral info and photos
  • Proof of long awaited documents- Photos of I-800A approval /Fed Ex guy bringing the  LSC
  • Birthday pictures of child at the orphanage and/or your family celebrating without her/him  at home
  • Update photos
  • Baby’s bedroom photo
  • Packing up all the STUFF photo
  • Spinning Globe with the red thread from home to China (standard issue on iMovie)
  • Traveling/ Waiting (bus, plane, airport, hotel)
  • China’s Great Wall
  • Pictures of locals and shopping venues 
  • Pictures of the Welfare Institute
  • Finding ad/ Place of abandonment picture
  • Video of “Anxiety building, T minus one hour” usually directed at child. What we wanted to tell you video.
  • Other waiting families and chaos of the room where you will meet her/him
  • The GOTCHA moment, tears from Mom, Dad and Baby
  • The classic passed out exhausted from crying and just overall excitement of the day picture
  • The classic Red Couch photo at the White Swan picture (I've heard that even though the White Swan is closed for renovations, you are still able to go in to get the couch picture)
  • The family waiting at home to welcome you picture or video
  • Home


This list is what I will most likely base my gathering strategies upon. Although, once we set foot on the ground in China this list will most likely be out the window. Life will be a whirlwind of emotions and whatever we can manage to capture for her of this precious time will have to do. After all, I'd much rather be living it, than watching it. And also, that's why we're bringing my Mom. ;) Camera person.

As I mentioned initially, one of the last key elements of your video will be the music choice. I've seen some really great video that was lost by music that didn't fit and vice versa. I've seen video that was just video until the music started and then it was a floodgate of tears bursting open. Here is a list of my favorites right now, but I know there are hundreds of great songs appropriate for these montages. Please leave me a comment on those you've heard that fit just perfectly. Also, I'd love links to other videos that you simply LOVE to watch.

One Less Broken Heart- Matthew West

The Healing Has Begun- Matthew West 

Children of God- Third Day 

This is Home- Switchfoot 

When Love Takes You In – Steven Curtis Chapmen 

The Boat Song- JJ Heller 

Haven’t Met You Yet- Michael Buble’ 

Beautiful Day- U2 

At the Beginning- Donna Lewis

Don't let me be the one to start your addiction to YouTube, but if you are curious just type in Gotcha Day in the search. There's plenty of them and you know where you can get more if you need it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment